When the Lexmark printer and scanner are sharing the same LPT (Line Print Terminal) port, communication problem arises while printing or scanning a document. The error message you see would be ‘communication not available’, ‘document failed to print’, unable to communicate’, ‘printer no longer responding to responding to print requests’, ‘printer offline’, ‘incorrect default printer’ and other error which show that you cannot print. In communication error, when you give print command, the print job halts in a printing queue.
Here is what you can do when communication problem arises due to printer and scanner sharing same port; disable the DOS printing. Follow the steps mentioned below to do this in your Lexmark printer:
- Go to Starts>Programs>Lexmark.
- Select ‘Control Program Utility’ from the Lexmark program group.
- In the ‘Control Program Utility’ window, select ‘Options’ tab. Uncheck the box in front of ‘Allow DOS Printing’ and check the box in front of ‘Disable DOS Printing.’
- Close the Lexmark program group window.
- Restart your computer to make the changes effective.
|Note: If you see a message asking to install the Lexmark printer drivers, click on ‘No.’|
After the computer is restarted, give a print or scan command to test if everything is working fine. After making the above changes, you should not be having any communication issue with your scanner or Lexmark printer. If your still have issues, uninstall the Lexmark printer driver and then re-install them. Below are the steps for the same.
Uninstalling Lexmark Printer Driver in Windows XP
- Go to Start>All Programs>Lexmark>Uninstall Lexmark.
- Reboot the computer.
- Go to Start>Control Panel>Printer and Faxes.
- On the screen that appear, go to File>Server Properties>Drivers.
- If you see any Lexmark printer drivers, click on them and then click ‘Remove.’
- Open Windows Explorer.
- Go to ‘C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Drivers\w32x86’ and remove all Lexmark files for the folder.
- Empty the Recycle Bin and restart the PC.
Reinstalling Lexmark Printer Driver in Windows XP
There are two ways to re-install the Lexmark printer drivers; from the installation CD and by downloading the drivers from the official website. For the second method, just click on the downloaded driver file to start the driver download extraction process and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
From Installation CD
- Insert the CD, if Windows AutoPlay dialog box appears, click Setup.exe. If the AutoPlay is OFF, click on Start>Computer>drive letter showing Lexmark.
- The ‘Install Type’ window will appear, Click on the ‘Install’ radio button and click ‘Install’ button.
- Click ‘Install’ again on the window that appears.
- Click ‘Agree’ on the license agreement.
- Click ‘Continue.’
- Select the software to install and click ‘Continue.’
- Select ‘Yes’ and follow the on-screen instructions for printer preparation setup.
- After the step-by-step guide completes, select the connection type. Click ‘Continue.’
- Depending upon the connection type you choose, follow the on-screen instructions. Click ‘Continue’ when the connection is established successfully.
- Wait for the final configuration.
- Select ‘Advanced Features’ and click ‘Continue.’
- Enter your email address and click ‘Continue.’
- Complete the E-mail setup and follow the on-screen instructions to complete setting the advanced features.
- When you see the ‘Your printer is ready to use’ screen, click ‘Print Sample Page’ to test if everything is working ok.
Of you still have communication problem, add a second LPT port to connect the printer and scanner independently. For further queries, contact Lexmark printer support at toll-free number.